Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Light and flavorsome, this Middle Eastern inspired cuisine will leave you wanting people to share it with! Perfect for a weekend of entertaining.
From Your Shopping List
- 200g plain yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 level tsp smoked paprika (mild)
- 1 level tsp hot paprika
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 4 chicken breasts or 8 skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 250g quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced finely
- 2 red endive/radicchio, cut crosswise into 3-4cm pieces
- 300gm watercress, or shredded lettuce
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- In a small bowl, make the marinade by mixing together the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika, hot paprika, ground cumin and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Put the chicken into a ziplock bag, add the marinade, mix well into the chicken so that it is fully coated, and leave to marinade for 30 minutes or longer.
- Meanwhile, for the rainbow salad, cook the quinoa by placing it in a pot with 500ml water, bring the water to the boil and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Drain in a sieve and leave to cool.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumber length ways into long, thin ribbons. When you reach the seeds in the centre, turn the cucumber and repeat on the other sides. Discard the core with the seeds.
- Make the salad dressing by mixing together 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar
- Thread the chicken onto metal skewers, leaving a small space between each piece to allow for even cooking.
- Preheat the BBQ for a medium heat, and lightly oil the grill.
- Cook the skewers of chicken on the BBQ for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway.
- Put all the ingredients for the salad into a bowl – the quinoa, cucumber, red onions, endive and watercress or shredded lettuce – and toss in the salad dressing.
- Arrange the salad on a large plate and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top. Serve with the spicy chicken kebabs.
If BBQ is not an option, the chicken can be cooked on a griddle pan or hot frying pan, or under an oven grill following the same method.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!