Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Bring that fresh seaside taste into your kitchen with this delicious dish! A fishcake and poached egg recipe that’s perfect for hosting brunch with friends and family.
From Your Shopping List
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g smoked haddock fillets (or cod), skin removed
- 3 tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten, plus 4 whole eggs
- 200g breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Put the potatoes in a pot of water with a touch of salt, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Strain the potatoes and place back in the pot and mash. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mash to a bowl and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put the fish fillets in a large frying pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, and allow the fish to continue cooking in the water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and when cool break apart into flakes.
- Add the flakes of fish, 2 tbsp of the chopped parsley and the lemon zest to the mashed potato, divide mixture into 4 portions and gently form into fish cakes.
- Line up three plates, and put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Dip the fishcakes into the flour, follow with the egg and then the breadcrumbs so that they are fully coated.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan, add the fishcakes to the pan and cook over a medium heat for about 8 minutes, turning half way through. Remove from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven.
- Fill a large saucepan just over one third full with boiling water. Add the vinegar and turn down to simmer. Crack the four eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl and gently tip into the simmering water. Poach for 2-3 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the warm fishcakes on a plate and top with the poached eggs and sprinkle over some chopped parsley.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Allergen info: Not suitable for people suffering from a fish allergy.