Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
This delicious, plat-based meal is guaranteed to satisfy vegetarian and meat eaters alike. So, send out those party invites and let this dish do the talking!
From Your Shopping List
- Juice of 1 lemon (save the rind of the juiced lemon for zest, below)
- 2 avocados, peeled, stoned and cut into slices
- 200g red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Quick cook angel hair noodles
- 200g, of mixed salad greens or shredded lettuce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 8.
- Pour half the lemon juice over the avocado slices to ensure that they don’t discolour.
- Place the cabbage in a plastic bag with the grated ginger, 1 tbsp cider vinegar, the lemon zest and 1 tbsp of salt. Squeeze out the air from the bag, massage the marinade into the cabbage and leave to pickle lightly.
- Peel the butternut squash, cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut into chunks.
- Oil a baking tray with 1 tbsp olive oil, and put the chunks of squash on the tray. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and pepper and the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and toss until the pieces are coated.
- Roast on the highest shelf of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the squash to finish cooking for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumber lengthways into long, thin ribbons. When you reach the seeds in the centre, turn the cucumber and repeat on the other sides. Discard the core with the seeds. Sprinkle over some salt. After 5 minutes, wipe off the salt and mop up any liquid using kitchen paper.
- To make the dressing, mix the other half of the lemon juice with the 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Cook the noodles as directed on the packet, add 2 tbsp of the dressing and allow to cool.
- To assemble the salad in 4 bowls or bento boxes, arrange the noodles on one side and fill the rest with a bed of lettuce or salad greens. Arrange a portion each of the avocado, the butternut squash and red cabbage in separate sections on top of the lettuce and pour over the rest of the dressing.
- Sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Not suitable for someone with a sesame seed allergy.