Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Piri-piri sauce brings a welcome pop of Portuguese heat to this easy-to-cook tray roasted chicken and the beauty is, you can prep it the night before.
From Your Shopping List
- 1 whole chicken, approx. 1.5kg
- 1kg baby potatoes, larger ones, halved
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
For the piri-piri sauce
- 4 mild red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To spatchcock the chicken, put it breast-side down, with the legs towards you.
- Using a strong scissors, cut the backbone out of the chicken and discard it. Turn the chicken over, open it up and use the heel of your hand to flatten it out so that the meat is all one thickness. Make a few slashes in the breast and the thighs. This will allow the marinade to absorb better and help with even cooking.
- Put all the piri-piri ingredients in a food processor and whizz until you have a smooth sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in a large plastic bag, pour in the sauce, massage into the bird and allow to marinate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat a baking tray in the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, onions, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Add to the baking tray, allowing room to put the chicken in the middle.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to turn over the potatoes and onions.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh and ensure that the juices are clear.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!