Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Impress your family and friends with this hearty and filling dish filled with Mediterranean herbs and spices. Compliments to the chef!
From Your Shopping List
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tins plum tomatoes
- 450g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 4 level tsps ground cumin
- 4 level tsps ground coriander
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140C.
- Heat the oil in a large, cast iron casserole and brown the lamb all over. Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside. Pour off excess fat, leaving 1 tablespoon. Add the onions and fry gently over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and ground coriander and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the casserole, and add the plum tomatoes, breaking them up a little bit. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven, baste the sauce over the lamb shanks and add the carrots and peppers. Cover and return to the oven for 45 minutes-1 hour until the lamb is tender and the vegetables cooked. Scatter the coriander on top.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!