Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
With plenty of protein from the beans and the avocado, this supper is as economical as it is tasty.
From Your Shopping List
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp mild chili powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained and rinsed (kidney beans if not available)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
For the chunky avocado salsa
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tomato, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 mild red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for the salsa)
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook at a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to turn golden. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground coriander, ground cumin and chili powder to the pan.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 100ml water and add to the pan.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and black beans to the pan along with the chopped peppers. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Before serving, add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with coriander (if using).
- To make the chunky salsa, combine all the ingredients together and serve in a separate dish.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!