Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Add a kick of spice to your week with this delicious chicken dish. Ideal for indoor and outdoor eating, this Mexican cuisine is sure to brighten up your taste buds!
From Your Shopping List
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder, or 1 tsp hot sauce, plus a little extra for the salsa
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
- In a small bowl, make the marinade by mixing together two thirds of the garlic, 1 tsp chilli powder (or hot sauce), two thirds of the lime/lemon juice, 1 tbsp vegetable oil and some black pepper.
- Halve each chicken breast by placing the meat on a chopping board and, with your hand flat on top, use a sharp knife to slice into the breast, and cut it into two so that you have four slimmer pieces which are easier to cook.
- Put the chicken into a ziplock bag, add the marinade, mix well into the chicken so that it is fully coated, and leave to marinade for 20 minutes or longer.
- To make the salsa, mix the chopped red onion and remaining garlic with the remaining lime/lemon juice, a little bit of chilli powder or hot sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Oil a disposable tinfoil tray with 1 tbsp oil, cut the potatoes into rounds about 1cm thick, and put on the tray. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt.
- Preheat the BBQ for a medium heat, and lightly oil the grill.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and discard the used marinade.
- Put the tinfoil tray and the pieces of chicken on the BBQ for 8-10 minutes, turning both halfway through.
- Add the chopped tomato to the salsa mixture, and serve with the chicken and potatoes
If BBQ is not an option, the chicken can be cooked on a tray with the potatoes in an oven heated to 250C for 20 minutes.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!