Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Timely but absolutely worth it! Glazed ham is one of few dishes you can take pride in with little disagreement from others. It’s a meal that demands appreciation. So, get those oven mitts on!
From Your Shopping List
- 2.5kg ham (on the bone, skin on)
- ½ orange, peel only
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 celery sticks, in big chunks
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 litre Fanta Zero
- 1500ml cold water
- Cloves, approx. 20
For the Glaze
- 4 tbsp marmalade
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- Using a potato peeler, cut three long strips of peel from an orange.
- Place the ham, onion, celery, orange peel, peppercorns, star anise and bay leaf in a large pot on the hob, pour over the Fanta and the water, and top up with water so that the ham is just about covered with liquid.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat. Keep it simmering gently for about 2½ hours, allowing 20 minutes per 450g (1lb) plus 20 minutes. Top up with boiling water as necessary. In the last 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7 and start making the glaze.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together.
- When the ham is cooked, remove it from the pot and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the thick layer of skin from the ham, leaving the layer of soft white fat. Using a knife, score the ham in diagonal lines to make diamond shapes. Stud each diamond with a clove. Spread the glaze mixture over the fat, ensuring that you don’t dislodge the cloves.
- Line a roasting tray with greaseproof paper, put a little bit of oil on the tin so that the paper holds in place, and rub a little oil onto the paper.
- Put the ham on the tray, and cook in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is golden and bubbling.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Not suitable for people with a celery allergy