Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Looking for something homely but new? Well then, we have the perfect meal for you. This spicy, delicious, Jamaican stew will bring a world of flavor into your home with minimal effort!
From Your Shopping List
- 4 chicken legs, drumsticks and thighs separated
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 200ml Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli pepper or two red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- Pinch allspice (optional)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 400ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp gravy granules
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large saucepan, add half the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from the saucepan and do the same with the remaining chicken pieces, removing the pieces when golden.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in the saucepan, add the onion and cook at a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to turn golden.
- Then add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and allspice (if using) to the pan, stir briefly.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 400ml of boiling water, add to the saucepan with 200ml Coca-Cola Zero Sugar, and bring back up to the boil. Add the gravy granules and stir to ensure there are no lumps as it thickens.
- Add the chicken pieces, the chilli, the peppers, and the butternut squash to the saucepan, bring back up to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 25 minutes.
- Add the chopped spring onions and the lemon juice and cook for a further 5 minutes.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!