Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
This hearty vegetarian dish packs all the flavour you’d expect from a shepherd’s pie – and more! Perfect for a warm and wholesome pick-me-up!
From Your Shopping List
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and cut into even chunks
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ aubergine, 1cm diced
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml boiling water
- Salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas mark 7.
- Put the sweet and white potatoes in a pot of water with a pinch of salt, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Strain the potatoes and place back in the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan, and fry the onion until soft, then add the garlic, chilli flakes, celery, carrot and aubergine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 100ml of boiling water, add half to the saucepan.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, the chopped tomatoes and beans, and bring to the boil. Add the parsley and remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the remaining 50ml of stock to the potatoes, and mash until smooth.
- Put the bean mixture in a casserole dish and spread the potato mash on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve in individual bowls.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Not suitable for people with a celery allergy.