Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Potatoes, chunky fish and a creamy sauce. This is the perfect wholesome meal that will warm up the family for those colder mid-week evenings.
From Your Shopping List
- 600g smoked haddock fillets, skinned and cut into chunks
- 400g frozen mixed vegetables
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 1 tsp mustard
- 400ml milk
- Knob of butter for the mash
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan/gas mark 6.
- Put the potatoes in a pot of water with a touch of salt, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Strain the potatoes and place back in the pot.
- Add the butter, salt and pepper to taste, and mash until smooth. Set to one side to use for mash topping later.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the milk for the sauce in the microwave until hot but not boiling.
- Blanch the frozen vegetables by pouring boiling water over them and strain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat, then add the flour and stir well, cooking it for 2 minutes. Gradually add the warm milk using a wooden spoon to stir it until smooth, which should take about 2 minutes. Whisk in the mustard.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, a squeeze of lemon juice and more mustard if you wish.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce. Check that there are no bones in the chunks of fish.
- To assemble, spoon a little of the sauce into the bottom of four pie dishes or one large one, and arrange the fish chunks on top. Cover completely with the rest of the sauce, spoon the potato on top, and use a fork to create a lattice design.
- Scatter over the grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden and it’s bubbling at the edges.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Allergen info: Recipe contains fish