Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Ribs marinated overnight. Stewing in sauce and spices, soaking up every ounce of flavour as they patiently wait to glisten in the golden light of your oven. These are guaranteed to impress everyone at your dinner table!
From Your Shopping List
- 50ml Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1kg pork spareribs
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ white cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 cucumber, cut into strips
- To make the Chinese sauce, heat the Coca-Cola Zero Sugar and the honey in a pot. Allow to simmer until the colour becomes a little deeper.
- Carefully add the rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar) and 3 tbsp of soy sauce, standing well back as it will splutter when you add the liquid.
- Add the hoisin sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, garlic, ginger, and chilli, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add half the lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Put the ribs into a large ziplock bag, add the cooled marinade, and turn to coat with sauce. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oven to 170C/fan 160C/gas 3.
- Fill a deep roasting tin or grilling tray with enough water to cover the bottom and place a grilling rack over the tray.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade, keeping the marinade in a bowl, and place on the rack.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes, turning the ribs and brushing with the marinade every 10 minutes, three times in total, allowing the marinade to cook to a glaze for the final 10 minutes.
- Make the dressing for the vegetables by mixing the sesame oil with 1 tbsp soy sauce and the remaining half of the lemon juice. Mix the white cabbage, the carrots and cucumber together and pour over the dressing. Toss the salad well, and serve with the ribs.
BEST SERVED WITH AN ICE COLD COCA-COLA ZERO SUGAR!
Allergen info: Not suitable for someone with a sesame seed allergy.