- Prepare the rice by adding the tomato purée, pesto and water to a frying pan on a medium heat. Stir to combine.
- Once the tomato mixture is frying slightly, add the rice and stir to combine until all the rice is combined with the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the courgette in half, lengthways. Use a spoon to scoop out the soft, seeded centre, creating a ‘boat’ shape. Make sure you leave the ends on so the ‘boats’ hold their shape!
- Place the courgettes face down on the BBQ hot plate and cook until tender on top.
- Turn the courgettes over. Add the rice mixture to the centre and top with grated Mozzarella.
- BBQ until the courgette is tender, and the cheese has melted. If you don’t have access to a BBQ hot plate, use a grill instead. Then you’ll need to make sure you don’t lose your filling if the ‘boats’ topple over. Wrap them in tinfoil to keep the filling intact.
If BBQ is not an option, courgette boats can be cooked in the oven in a lightly oiled baking tin on a medium heat following the same method.